THE CHARACTERISTICS OF TRUE DISCIPLES (1).
Jesus said, “And whoever does not bear his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.” Luke 14:27
Your supreme duty as a disciple of Jesus is to help people find, follow, and fully become like Jesus.
Receive the grace and anointing to win disciples for the Royal Master, Jesus Christ, in the name of Jesus.
Being born again is one of the greatest experiences you can have. However, it marks only the beginning of your journey in your new life in Christ. It also comes with certain requirements. One of them is that you (saved soul) must seek to become a disciple of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Additionally, believers and the body of Christ as a whole have a duty to God to make young converts and those who are not yet believers into disciples.
God’s commandment for global evangelization to every believer is to go and preach the Gospel and make disciples of all nations. However, it takes a disciple to produce others. Are you a true disciple of Christ? Let’s examine the characteristics of true disciples of Jesus Christ. First, true disciples of Jesus take up their cross and follow Him. In Luke 14:27, the Bible says, “And whoever does not bear his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.”
In other words, they must be willing to endure trials, persecution, execution, and have the willingness to be with and for Christ wherever He will lead or send them. Secondly, true disciples abide in the Lord’s word. One of the major characteristics of true disciples is that they take God’s word as the final authority and abide by it at all times and in all circumstances. What Jesus said to the Jews who believed in Him in John 8:31, He says to you today:
“…If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples.“
Thirdly, true disciples of Jesus love one another. The Bible emphasizes this in John 13:35 when Jesus says:
“By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.“
We can fulfill this commandment of love by meeting each other’s needs (Matthew 25:35; Romans 12:13), serving one another with love (Galatians 5:13), and forgiving each other (Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:13).
Fourthly, true disciples of Jesus follow the Master’s instructions. In Acts 9:10-17, the Lord gave instructions to his disciple Ananias to go to Saul of Tarsus and pray for him to regain his sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit. Ananias carried out the Lord’s instructions to the letter.
I pray that the grace to become a true disciple of Christ be yours now, in the name of Jesus.
- Father, help me to be a good disciple for Your Kingdom and grant me the grace to make other disciples, in the name of Jesus.
- Father, reveal my weaknesses to me and give me strength to believe in these areas so that I may be a better example for those I disciple, in the name of Jesus.
- O God, help me to advance Your kingdom every day, in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord, grant me the grace to bear my cross and follow You or go wherever You send me, in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord, give me the heart of true love for my fellow believers, in the name of Jesus.
- Lord, make me a disciple who loves and lives by Your word, in the mighty name of Jesus.
- My Lord, help me to always follow Your instructions to the letter, in the name of Jesus.
This text is an excerpt from the book “Living on top life of the mountain daily devotion 2024” written by Dr DANIEL OLUKOYA.
We invite you to read the following article “THE CHARACTERISTICS OF TRUE DISCIPLES (1).”